CONSERVAÇÃO E RESTAURO DE AZULEJOS

18 de Junho de 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | sala 5.2

Convidados:
Lurdes Esteves [MNAz]
Teresa Silva [RTEACJMSS]

Moderador:
Paulo Simões Rodrigues [CHAIA-UE]

Lurdes Esteves
É Conservadora Restauradora, responsável pelo Departamento de Conservação e Restauro do Museu Nacional do Azulejo. Tem bacharelato em Conservação e Restauro pela Escola Superior de Conservação e Restauro de Lisboa, com pré-especialização em Bens Arqueológicos e licenciatura em Conservação e Restauro pela Escola Superior de Tecnologia de Tomar, incidindo na área do Azulejo. Actualmente é doutoranda no curso de História de Arte da Universidade de Évora, com dissertação no estudo da degradação de azulejos históricos.

Teresa Silva
É técnica de conservação e restauro desde 1993. Desde então tem trabalhado na área da azulejaria e cerâmica nas empresas que formou, colaborando de forma próxima com o Museu Nacional do Azulejo. Como bolseira da Rede Temática em Estudos de Azulejaria e Cerâmica João Miguel dos Santos Simões integrou o projecto “Devolver ao Olhar”, financiado pela FCT, que decorreu no MNAz. Encontra-se a desenvolver o seu projecto de dissertação de mestrado com o título: “Devolver ao Olhar: Percurso e Projecto Expositivo no Museu Nacional do Azulejo”, na Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, integrando o grupo de investigação referido.

_____________________________________________________

CONSERVATION AND RESTORATION OF AZULEJOS


June 18, 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | room 5.2

Invited speakers:
Lurdes Esteves [MNAz]
Teresa Silva [RTEACJMSS]

Moderator:
Paulo Simões Rodrigues [CHAIA-UE]

Lurdes Esteves
Lurdes Esteves is a curator-restorer and responsible for the Department of Conservation and Restoration of the National Museum of Azulejo. She has a Bachelor degree in Conservation and Restoration of the Lisbon’s School of Conservation and Restoration, with a pre-specialization in Archeological Assets and a degree in Conservation and Restoration of the School of Technology of Tomar, with its main focus on Azulejo. Currently, she’s a PhD student in Art History at the University of Évora, with a dissertation on the study of the degradation of historic tiles.

Teresa Silva
Since 1993, Teresa Silva is a technician of conservation and restoration. From then, she has been working in the field of azulejo and ceramics in the companies that she formed, closely collaborating with the National Museum of Azulejo. As a grant holder with the Thematic Network on the Study of Tiles and Ceramics João Miguel dos Santos Simões (ARTIS-IHA/FLUL), she took part in the project “Devolver ao Olhar” (Giving back to the view), funded by FCT, and held in the museum above mentioned. Currently, she’s developing her master’s dissertation project entitled: “Devolver ao Olhar: Percurso e Projecto Expositivo no Museu Nacional do Azulejo” (Giving back to the view: Route and Expository Project in the National Museum of Azulejo), at the Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, integrating the cited research group.

CONSERVAÇÃO E RESTAURO DE AZULEJOS

18 de Junho de 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | sala 5.2

A azulejaria é considerada uma arte na qual os portugueses foram exímios, quer na produção quer na aplicação em edifícios com as mais variadas funções. Embora o azulejo seja considerado um material de revestimento com grande durabilidade, a sua aplicação em estruturas arquitectónicas e a falta de manutenção têm levado à perda significativa de tão importante património.

Nesta sessão pretende-se analisar as diferentes preocupações do Conservador-Restaurador na intervenção em azulejos aplicados in situ e em contexto museológico. Embora o mote “Conservar” seja o mesmo, os caminhos seguidos nas intervenções, especialmente no restauro, seguem inevitavelmente caminhos paralelos – a escolha de produtos e as preocupações futuras são outras.

_____________________________________________________

CONSERVATION AND RESTORATION OF AZULEJOS


June 18, 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | room 5.2

The azulejo is considered an art form in which the Portuguese have excelled, both in its production and its application on buildings, with several different ends. Although the azulejo is usually seen as a covering material of great durability, its use in architectural structures and the lack of maintenance thereof have led to a significant loss of this important heritage.

The aim of this session is to analyse the curator-restorer’s different concerns regarding the intervention of tiles applied in situ and in a museological context. Even though the motto “to preserve” is the same in both instances, the directions followed by the interventions, and especially by restorers, are inevitably different, as the choice of products and the future concerns are not the same.

O AzLab A refuncionalização dos edifícios. O azulejo nos hospitais de Lisboa, teve como convidadas Clara Moura Soares e Célia Pilão, e a moderação de Vítor Serrão. A sessão começou com a apresentação de Clara Moura Soares cujo mote – “in situ, no museu, no mercado ou em parte incerta” – pretendia abrir o debate sobre as atribulações a que o património azulejar foi sujeito em consequência da Extinção das Ordens Religiosas. Neste breve enquadramento histórico, alargado mas procurando integrar o azulejo, referiu-se a Extinção e a Lei da Separação do Estado das Igrejas, que muito contribuíram para a descontextualização do património. Nomes como o Marquês de Sousa e Holstein e José de Figueiredo estiveram em destaque, pelo seu papel no destino de muito património, mas abordaram-se casos menos felizes, como o de São Lourenço de Carnide e os seus azulejos. Em todo o caso, e como foi destacado, estudos recentes têm vindo a mostrar que, apesar da destruição característica destes períodos, também houve preocupação com a salvaguarda do património.

A apresentação de Célia Pilão, intitulada “Os azulejos dos Hospitais Civis de Lisboa. Caridade, assistência e direito à saúde”, centrou-se na história dos hospitais de Lisboa, desde a transferência das funções do Hospital Real de Todos-os-Santos para o Hospital Real de S. José [antigo Colégio de Santo Antão-o-Novo], passando pela criação dos hospitais que hoje integram o Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa até a actualidade. Tratou-se de uma visão “por dentro” do património azulejar (e não só) dos hospitais, perspectivado por quem viveu nestes espaços revestidos por azulejos.

Seguiu-se o período de debate, onde se discutiu a importância da reutilização dos espaços no processo de salvaguarda, evitando o abandono; a dificuldade em encontrar correspondências entre os objectos provenientes dos antigos conventos e que actualmente se encontram em museus; o significado que os hospitais edificados na Colina de Santana têm para os habitantes de Lisboa (a construção de afectos, para a qual a presença da arte contribui); os critérios para a colocação de azulejos contemporâneos nos hospitais, e outros casos de hospitais desactivados em diferentes cidades do país. Em todo o debate ficou bem clara a preocupação dos convidados e da assistência com o futuro destes hospitais e com as reutilizações que, num primeiro momento, foram travadas mas que se perspectivam num futuro próximo. A salvaguarda do património e, em particular, do património da Colina de Santana, é uma causa que permanece na agenda de todos nós.

_____________________________________________________

The AzLab The reuse of buildings. The azulejo in Lisbon’s hospitals, had as guests Clara Moura Soares and Célia Pilão, and was moderated by Vítor Serrão. It started with Clara Moura Soares’ presentation under the motto – “in situ, at the museum, on the market or nowhere” – whose intention was to open the debate concerning the misfortunes that the azulejo heritage went through after the Extinction of the Religious Orders in the 19th century. In this brief historical context, extended but at the same time integrating the azulejo, it was mentioned the Extinction and the 1911 Law of Separation between the State and the Church, which greatly contributed to the decontextualization of the Portuguese heritage, particularly, the azulejo. Names like the Marquis of Sousa e Holstein and José de Figueiredo were highlighted for their positive role. However less happy situations were also referred to, such as São Lourenço de Carnide and its azulejos. In any case, and as it was mentioned, recent studies have been underlining that despite the destruction, there was also a concern about the safeguarding.

Célia Pilão’s presentation entitled “The azulejos of Lisbon’s Civil Hospitals. Charity, assistance and the right to health”, focused on the history of the hospitals of Lisbon, since the transfer of functions from the Hospital Real de Todos-os-Santos to the Hospital Real de S. José [former College of Santo Antão-o-Novo], going through the establishment of the hospitals that are part of the Central Lisbon’s Hospital Centre, until the present-day. It was a vision “from the inside” of the hospitals’ azulejo heritage (but not only), envisaged by those who lived in these spaces covered with azulejos.

Both presentations were followed by a debate, in which was discussed the importance of the reuse of spaces in the safeguarding process, by avoiding its abandonment; the difficulty in finding correspondences between the objects from the old convents and which are now in museums; the meaning that the hospitals built on the Hill of Santana have for the Lisbon inhabitants (the building of affections, for which the presence of art contributes); the criteria for placing contemporary azulejos in the hospitals, and other cases of deactivated hospitals in different cities of the country. Throughout the debate it became clear the guests’ concern and care about the future of these hospitals and the reuses that, may happen in the near future. The heritage safeguarding and, particularly, that of the Hill of Santana (hill of Santana), it’s a cause that remains on everyone’s agenda.

A REFUNCIONALIZAÇÃO DOS EDIFÍCIOS. O AZULEJO NOS HOSPITAIS DE LISBOA

THE REUSE OF BUILDINGS. THE AZULEJO IN LISBON’S HOSPITALS

21 de Maio de 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | sala 5.2

May 21, 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | room 5.2

 
Alguma bibliografia sobre os azulejos dos hospitais de São José, Santa Marta e Santo António dos Capuchos | Some selected bibliography about the hospitals of São José, Santa Marta e Santo António dos Capuchos

ALMASQUÉ, Isabel; VELOSOAntónio José Barros – Hospitais Civis de Lisboa: história e azulejos. Lisboa: INAPA, 1996.
Carvalho, R., Pais, A., Almeida, A., Aguiar, I., Pires, I., Marinho, L., & Nóbrega, P. (2012). 17th century patterned azulejos from the Monastery of Santa Marta, in Lisbon. CITAR Journal Of Science And Technology Of The Arts, 4(1), 49-59. doi:10.7559/citarj.v4i1.66 (URL: http://artes.ucp.pt/citarj/article/view/66/36)

CARVALHO, Rosário Salema de; GUESSNER, Samuel; TIRAPICOS, Luís – Astronomy and the “azulejos” of Portuguese Jesuit colleges. Congresso da Sociedade Europeia para a Astronomia na Cultura (SEAC 2011). Universidade de Évora, 19 a 23 de Setembro de 2011 [no prelo].

CARVALHO, Rosário Salema de – Os azulejos da Aula da Esfera. Segundas Jornadas sobre Ciência na «Aula da Esfera». Lisboa, Biblioteca Nacional, 27 de Maio de 2011 [no prelo].

CARVALHO, Rosário Salema de; CARVALHO, Luís Mendonça de; COSTA, Ana Maria – A fauna e a flora nos azulejos do antigo Colégio de Santo Antão. Um exemplo de aprofundamento de inventário. Actas do Congresso Internacional A Herança de Santos Simões – Novas perspectivas para o estudo da azulejaria e da cerâmica. Lisboa, Reitoria da Universidade de Lisboa, 2010 [no prelo].

MECO, José – O azulejo em Portugal. Lisboa: Publicações Alfa, 1989.

SANTOS, Reinaldo dos – O azulejo em Portugal. Lisboa: Ed. Sul, 1957.

SIMÕES, João Miguel dos Santos – Azulejaria em Portugal no século XVIII. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, 1979, pp. 205-207.

A REFUNCIONALIZAÇÃO DOS EDIFÍCIOS. O AZULEJO NOS HOSPITAIS DE LISBOA

21 de Maio de 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | sala 5.2

Misericórdia
Este imenso património cerâmico que temos vindo a destacar tem uma origem conventual, mas a história dos edifícios é também a história das instituições que aqui estiveram instaladas ao longo dos tempos, após a extinção das Ordens Religiosas (ou, em alguns casos, a anterior expulsão dos jesuítas). O azulejo, sendo um património integrado, mas com alguma mobilidade, reflecte, de certa forma, as várias adaptações a que os imóveis foram sujeitos.

Observando os revestimentos mais antigos, contemporâneos da utilização dos edifícios como colégio ou conventos, percebe-se que cada um foi estruturado em função de um programa iconográfico, possivelmente relacionado com a funcionalidade original dos espaços. Todavia, estes revestimentos foram sendo objecto de alterações, cuja extensão temos dificuldade em reconhecer, e diferentes espaços receberam novos azulejos, transferidos de outros locais ou resultantes de novas encomendas. Muitos deles testemunham, de forma directa, o envolvimento de “novas” instituições à frente dos destinos destes imóveis. Veja-se o caso, no Hospital de São José, dos painéis representando Nossa Senhora da Misericórdia e o episódio da Visitação, aplicados na designada Escadaria das Consultas já depois da expulsão dos jesuítas (1759) e da instalação do Hospital Real de São José (1775). A presença neste espaço de uma iconografia tão específica encontra justificação no facto da Misericórdia de Lisboa ter sido administradora do Hospital até 1851. Desconhece-se, no entanto, a origem dos painéis, certamente trazidos de outro lugar e aqui aplicados para assinalar visualmente a presença dos irmãos da Misericórdia, num espaço que seria, à época, de forte impacto.

In CARVALHO, Rosário Salema de Carvalho; PAIS, Alexandre; ALMEIDA; Ana AGUIAR, Inês; MARINHO, Lúcia -Do imóvel à plataforma digital. O património azulejar do Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central.Actas do Colóquio O Património Artístico das Ordens Religiosas: entre o Liberalismo e a Actualidade.

_____________________________________________________

THE REUSE OF BUILDINGS. THE AZULEJO IN LISBON’S HOSPITALS


May 21, 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | room 5.2

Mercy
The immense azulejo heritage that we have been highlighting has a conventual origin. However, the history of the buildings is also the history of the institutions that had been installed here over the years, after the extinction of the religious orders (or, in some cases, the previous expulsion of the Jesuits). The azulejo, as an integrate heritage that features a certain degree of mobility, reflects – to some extent – the different adaptations that the buildings were subject to.

Observing the older compositions, dating back from when the buildings were used as college or convents, it is clear that each one was structured according to a specific iconographic program, possibly related to the original functionality of the spaces. Nevertheless, these compositions have been subject to changes with an extension hard to recognize nowadays, not to mention that some spaces received new azulejos transferred from other locations or even as result of new orders. Many of these coatings have witnessed, first hand, the involvement of the “new” institutions at the helm of these properties.

This is the case of the panels representing Our Lady of Mercy and the Visitation, placed at one of staircases at the Hospital of S. José, applied after the expulsion of the Jesuits (1759) and the establishment of the Royal Hospital of S. José (1775). The presence, in this space, of such a specific iconography is justified by the fact that the Misericórdia of Lisbon was the administrator of the Hospital until 1851. However, the origin of the panels is unknown, though certainly they were brought from elsewhere and applied here to visually highlight the presence of the brothers of Misericórdia, within a place that must had a strong impact at the time.

In CARVALHO, Rosário Salema de Carvalho; PAIS, Alexandre; ALMEIDA; Ana AGUIAR, Inês; MARINHO, Lúcia -Do imóvel à plataforma digital. O património azulejar do Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central.Actas do Colóquio O Património Artístico das Ordens Religiosas: entre o Liberalismo e a Actualidade

A REFUNCIONALIZAÇÃO DOS EDIFÍCIOS. O AZULEJO NOS HOSPITAIS DE LISBOA

21 de Maio de 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | sala 5.2

Azulejos dos Colégios Jesuítas Portugueses
Tal como tantos outros espaços, também os colégios jesuítas foram, em Portugal, revestidos por azulejos. Muitos dos que ainda hoje se conservam, em tons de azul e branco, remontam ao século XVIII, estando aplicados em escadarias e corredores mas, principalmente, nas antigas salas de aulas. Como seria de esperar, os temas representados deviam ilustrar as matérias ministradas, funcionando como apoio visual aos professores, uma espécie de slides ou power points.

No Colégio de Santo Antão-o-Novo, em Lisboa (actual Hospital de São José), e em Évora, no Colégio do Espírito Santo (a única universidade dirigida pelos jesuítas entre 1559 e 1759), conservam-se exemplos de revestimentos deste género. Conhece-se ainda um outro caso, ainda que distinto, pois não se trata de um revestimento aplicado mas sim de azulejos isolados. Representam vários livros dos Elementos de Euclides (integrando colecções privadas e públicas). Muito embora não se saiba a origem destes azulejos, investigações recentes sugerem que poderiam ter sido usados no Colégio de Coimbra, como materiais educativos na área da geometria, ou durante provas públicas.

Os azulejos aplicados nas salas de aulas são de natureza distinta e nem todos são inteiramente científicos. Os da Aula da Esfera, em Lisboa, representam temas distintos, inspirados em gravuras. Entre estas merece especial referência a obra Imago primi saeculi Societatis Iesu: a prouincia Flandro-Belgica eiusdem Societatis repraesentata, um livro de emblemas editado em 1640 para assinalar o primeiro centenário da Companhia de Jesus. A secção representando Arquimedes a incendiar os navios com um espelho durante o cerco a Siracusa inspira-se num dos emblemas deste livro, assim como outra evocação de Arquimedes através de um estranho mecanismo de alavanca que levanta um globo, e que inclui ainda uma referência aos descobrimentos portugueses (com um excerto dos Lusíadas).

Uma outra secção mostra um diagrama dos teoremas de Arquimedes “Da esfera e do cilindro”, que pode ter sido inspirado na edição de André Tacquet (1612-1660). Uma outra fonte de inspiração é a obra Traité de la Construction et des principaux usages des instruments de Mathématiques, de Nicolas Bion. Os restantes azulejos ilustram a figura de Atlas e exemplos de formas de construção actualizadas de muralhas, como alegorias à arte da guerra.

Por sua vez, em Évora, cada uma das muitas salas de aula apresenta o seu próprio programa iconográfico. Na aula de Geometria e Astronomia (n.º 114) as representações são muito semelhantes às do colégio lisboeta. No entanto, o episódio do espelho de Arquimedes encontra-se numa outra sala, juntamente com outras experiências da Física (sala da Física, n.º 120).

In CARVALHO, Rosário Salema de; GUESSNER, Samuel; TIRAPICOS, Luís – Astronomy and the “azulejos” of Portuguese Jesuit colleges. Congresso da Sociedade Europeia para a Astronomia na Cultura (SEAC 2011). Universidade de Évora, 19 a 23 de Setembro de 2011 (no prelo).

_____________________________________________________

THE REUSE OF BUILDINGS. THE AZULEJO IN LISBON’S HOSPITALS


May 21, 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | room 5.2

Azulejos of Portuguese Jesuit colleges
It is no surprise that in Portugal the Jesuit Colleges were decorated with great tile panels. Those we know today are dated from the 18th century, in blue and white. These tile panels adorn the staircases and corridors but in particular also the lecture halls. As we might expect today, the represented themes pretend to illustrate the course curriculum, so they may have supported the teachers during the lectures as it is done today with slides or power point projections.

We can see examples of this kind of decoration in the College of Santo Antão-o-Novo, in Lisbon (now the Hospital of São José), and in Évora, in the College of Espírito Santo (the only University in Portugal managed by the Jesuits between 1559 and 1759). Beside these two cases, there is another testimony for the use of tiles in a similar context. A set of tiles illustrating several books of the Euclid’s Elements survive in various private and museum collections. We don’t know the origin of these tiles, but recent research suggests that they could have been used at the College of Coimbra as educational materials in geometry courses, or during public examinations.

The tile panels applied in the lecture halls walls were of different nature and not all of them are purely scientific. In Lisbon, tile panels exist in the Aula da Esfera. They represent different themes inspired by printed sources, among them the Imago primi saeculi Societatis Iesu : a prouincia Flandro-Belgica eiusdem Societatis repraesentata, an emblem book edited in 1640 for the celebration of the Company first centenary. From this book alone are derived a scene with a burning mirror used to burn the ships at the siege of Syracuse, and another evocation of Archimedes by a strange lever mechanism lifting the globe, which includes a reference to the Portuguese discoveries (with a sentence taken from Luís Camões’s Lusíadas).  

A diagram from  Archimedes’ theorems On the Sphere and Cylinder is also shown. This may be inspired by André Tacquet’s (1612-1660) edition (was in the Euclid’s Elements which included those). The third source we identified is Nicolas Bion’s, Traité de la Construction et des principaux usages des instruments de Mathématiques. Other themes are the figure of Atlas, and examples of modern ways to build fortifications, as allegories to the art of war.

In Évora, on the other hand, there is a whole series of lecture halls and each of them has its own iconographic program, often related to the course subjects. We find here, in the Geometry and Astronomy hall [n.º 114], some compositions very similar to those at Lisbon’s Aula da Esfera, described above. However, one of them is in another room. It’s the Archimedes’ burning mirror, here grouped together with other experiences in Physics and consequently placed in the Physics hall [hall n. º 120].

In CARVALHO, Rosário Salema de; GUESSNER, Samuel; TIRAPICOS, Luís – Astronomy and the “azulejos” of Portuguese Jesuit colleges. Congresso da Sociedade Europeia para a Astronomia na Cultura (SEAC 2011). Universidade de Évora, 19 a 23 de Setembro de 2011 (on print).

A REFUNCIONALIZAÇÃO DOS EDIFÍCIOS. O AZULEJO NOS HOSPITAIS DE LISBOA

21 de Maio de 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | sala 5.2

Hospital de Santo António dos Capuchos
Dos azulejos do antigo Convento merecem especial destaque os que ainda se conservam na igreja, de época joanina. No nártex observam-se dois episódios da vida de Santo António – milagre da Mula e sermão aos peixes – e dois santos franciscanos, os primeiros de uma galeria que, no interior, reveste as paredes laterais da nave. Cada capela apresenta um programa próprio, com símbolos da paixão ou marianos. Na capela-mor os azulejos são anteriores e têm vindo a ser atribuídos a pintores do Ciclo dos Mestres (1700-1725). Representam episódios da vida de Santo António e eremitas franciscanos.

No claustro um silhar de albarradas setecentista percorre as paredes deste espaço e, a boca da antiga cisterna, de formato octogonal, apresenta revestimento de azulejos em tons de azul e branco em cada uma das faces, com medalhão elíptico ao centro, com uma ou duas flores. Do Hospital dos Capuchos faz ainda parte o antigo Palácio Melo, com uma escadaria revestida por azulejos setecentistas com cenas de caça e de batalha e a enfermaria com temas bíblicos e/ou mitológicos, música, dança, caça e paisagens campestres.

_____________________________________________________

THE REUSE OF BUILDINGS. THE AZULEJO IN LISBON’S HOSPITALS


May 21, 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | room 5.2

Hospital of Santo António dos Capuchos
Of the azulejos still in situ, in the former Convent, those who deserve a special reference are the ones in the church, from King John the fifth’s period. In the narthex, there are two episodes from the life of Saint Anthony – miracle of the mule and sermon to the fishes – and two franciscan saints, the firsts of a gallery that, on the inside of the church, cover the side walls of the central aisle. Each chapel presents its own specific program, with symbols from the Passion of Christ or associated with the Virgin Mary. The azulejos in the main chapel are from an earlier period and have been attributed to painters of the Master’s Cycle (1700-1725). They represent episodes from the life of Saint Anthony and some franciscan hermits.

In the cloister, azulejos representing vases with flowers adorns the walls, and the mouth of the ancient cistern, of octagonal shape, has on each side an azulejocoating in shades of blue and white, with a center medallion in elliptical form, with one or two flowers. The former Melo palace, also part of this Hospital, presents a staircase covered with 18th century azulejos with hunting and battle scenes and, the infirmary has themes that varied between biblical, mythological, musical, dancing and rural landscapes.

A REFUNCIONALIZAÇÃO DOS EDIFÍCIOS. O AZULEJO NOS HOSPITAIS DE LISBOA

21 de Maio de 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | sala 5.2

Hospital de Santa Marta
O Mosteiro de Santa Marta de Jesus, actual Hospital de Santa Marta, conserva in situ um vasto conjunto de revestimentos cerâmicos que testemunha as diferentes tendências do azulejo português ao longo dos seus cinco séculos de história.
O azulejo de padrão, que tanto caracterizou a produção do século XVII, encontra-se presente na antiga igreja e coro baixo, bem como em dois recantos situados na ala Oeste do claustro, espaços privilegiados de aplicação. Também a azulejaria figurativa e ornamental constitui uma das grandes vias de afirmação da azulejaria portuguesa, representada em Santa Marta em obras a azul e branco do final do século XVII como duas grandes cenas da vida de Santa Clara, atribuíveis a Gabriel del Barco [1648-1700 c.], actualmente aplicadas na antiga portaria conventual.

É ainda de destacar o revestimento integral da Sala do Capítulo, hoje Salão Nobre, com iconografia de Santa Clara, São Francisco e Santa Teresa distribuída em vários níveis de leitura, e cuja produção corresponde ao ciclo da Grande Produção Joanina, situado no segundo quartel século XVIII. Prolonga-se com outros exemplos, como o famoso altar de Nossa Senhora da Saudação, já da segunda metade de Setecentos.

No claustro, as albarradas setecentistas do piso térreo foram complementadas por remates recortados de 1906, alguns dos quais assinados por Vitória Pereira [1877-1952] e, no piso superior, o revestimento da mesma época foi produzido pela Fábrica Viúva Lamego.

In Carvalho, R., Pais, A., Almeida, A., Aguiar, I., Pires, I., Marinho, L., & Nóbrega, P. (2012). 17th century patterned azulejos from the Monastery of Santa Marta, in Lisbon. Journal Of Science And Technology Of The Arts, 4(1), 49-59. doi:10.7559/citarj.v4i1.66

_____________________________________________________

THE REUSE OF BUILDINGS. THE AZULEJO IN LISBON’S HOSPITALS


May 21, 2014 | 18h00 | Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa | room 5.2

Hospital of Santa Marta
The Monastery of Santa Marta de Jesus, currently Hospital of Santa Marta, preserves in situ a wide range of tiles that shows the different tendencies of Portuguese tiles during its five centuries of history. The patterned tiles, which strongly characterized the 17th century production, are placed in the primitive church and in the lower-choir, as well as in two other places in the cloister’s west wing. Also, figurative and ornamental tiles, which were two other tendencies of Portuguese tiles, were used at Santa Marta’s in two great compositions from the late 17th century, representing scenes from the life of Saint Clare. These two blue-and-white compositions are attributed to Gabriel del Barco [1648 – c. 1700] and are currently placed in the convent’s main entrance.

Another highlight are the tiles that entirely cover the walls of the Chapter House, the present auditorium, depicting Saint Clare, Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Theresa’s iconography, distributed in various levels of reading and produced within Grande Produção Joanina (king John the fifth’s Great Production), an artistic period of the second quarter of the 18th century. Placed in another part of the Monastery is the famous altar devoted to Nossa Senhora da Salvação (Our Lady of Salvation), dated from the second half of the same century.

In the cloister, the 18th century compositions with vases with flowers in, usually called albarradas, applied in the ground floor, were complemented by cut-out edges produced in 1906, some of which are signed by Victoria Pereira [1877-1952] and, on the top floor, the tiles dated from the same year were produced by the Factory Viúva Lamego.

In Carvalho, R., Pais, A., Almeida, A., Aguiar, I., Pires, I., Marinho, L., & Nóbrega, P. (2012). 17th century patterned azulejos from the Monastery of Santa Marta, in Lisbon. Journal Of Science And Technology Of The Arts, 4(1), 49-59. doi:10.7559/citarj.v4i1.66